This post is sponsored by the National Honey Board,
however the content and opinions expressed are my own.
Creating everyday golden moments in your life is a way to break up the monotony and also create memories you’ll have forever: dinner parties with friends, celebrating the silly Instagram “National Days” with your little ones, or even finding a way to spruce up your everyday workout. Working out has always been one of my husband and I’s favorite thing to do together. It’s fun and a great mental break from the stresses of life. September is National Honey Month, and we celebrated with a challenging partner workout and followed it up with delicious honey-inspired snacks. My dad harvested honey from the bees we raised in our backyard growing up, so honey has always been an ingredient I love to use to add a delicious natural flavor to my foods and drinks.
Before our workout, we made Oat & Honey Bites and popped them in the fridge, so they’d be ready when we were done. I figured these would be good given the ingredients, but I wasn’t prepared for them to be THAT good. We ate the entire batch in one sitting (so much for portion control). You can find the recipe for these here. (I cut the cranberry serving in half since I’m not a huge cranberry fan!)
We also made a Honey Almond Banana Smoothie which has always been one of my favorites; I’ve included the recipe for this at the end of this post. (My toddlers also LOVE these smoothies!).
I know how hard it can be to find the motivation to work out, especially if you are a mom of little ones. Here’s a few tips to help
1. Create a home gym // Whether it’s a full garage gym like we made or an empty space in your living room with equipment hidden in drawers, having a home gym allows more flexibility in your schedule. It’s been so nice to be able to workout with my husband (instead of one of us going to the gym while the other keeps the little ones) and also have my fellow mama friends over to workout while our littles are sleeping.
2. Wake up early // It’s not always easy, but working out is such a great way to start off your day, and if you have a little ones, it’s nice to get it done while they are still asleep. If you don’t do it first thing in the morning, it’s way to easy to make excuses to do it later on.
3. Grap a friend or spouse // Accountability does wonders for your motivation. Also? Working out with friends or your spouse is just more fun. Call it a “work out party” and somehow it instantly becomes a good time.
4. Create a motivational playlist // Rap, Rock & Roll, or 90s Hits (um yes please), whatever your jam, create a playlist in advance to keep you going through your workout.
5. Have a good snack waiting for you // Getting a good work out in really builds your appetite, and it’s important to refuel your body afterwards – especially with something high in protein … and let’s be real, if there is food on the other side of something tough, I’m game. Make it fun, and add some honey to your post workout snacks to celebrate National Honey Month!
Check out a little behind the scenes from our work out!